Sunday, July 25, 2010

Week 8: Post 1

I think that the most interesting of the research methodologies is the experimental research. Not only do you get to watch and see what happens you actually get to participate and control certain aspects of the research. If I wanted to study some aspect of deception…I really have no idea what this means. I suppose I could pose a question such as “How many people lie under pressure?” or something like that. To answer that question I suppose I could use the survey research but the problem with that is that people might not be completely honest which would ruin the study. Another research methodology that could be used in the situation could be the experimental research route which would just be more work but it would be more accurate. I think that ethnography would be the best for this research question. Because people might not want to be completely honest we could “go undercover” and find our answers as a participant.

3 Comments:

At July 26, 2010 at 5:43 PM , Blogger thelittletomatoe said...

Now that I have read your answer, I wish I could change mine! I wonder if the reason she chose the topic of deception for our research is because it is hard to measure. In any case, if I were to answer the question again, I would choose to focus on the tells people have when they lie (similar to that television show “Lie to Me”.) We could use the Experimental Research method by having people answer questions that we know the answers to, both truthfully and untruthfully, and then measure things like their heart rate, facial and body movements, body temperature and amount of perspiration. Are you down?

 
At July 28, 2010 at 6:41 PM , Blogger chubbyhub said...

Deception is an intense topic to disect we have to use a lie detector test. We could go on Maury or Jerry Springer and ask the audience to be our subjects. Once we discover why deception is used and in what types of situations we can tell the world and inform them of our new findings. I wish that could happen.
I also agree the experimental research methodology has many interesting aspects. Being in control of ones research is important because I see now with the ethnography research method a lot of other factors such as emotional attachment can take the control one has away from the entire research.

 
At July 28, 2010 at 7:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with the posting and comments that deception is hard to measure. If we were to use ethnography, we would only be observing one side of the story, unless we followed up with in depth interviews. Even if we did that, people could still lie about their stories. And with surveys, people can definitely lie easily because no one is checking them. I like the idea of using an experiment to test deception, though it does seem kind of like a science experiment. Performance research might be kind of fun, because we could act in deceiving ways and see what it feels like. If we found some objective way to study deception, I agree that it would be important to get people’s interpretations of why they lie.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home